Filing an application for Social Security Disability Benefits with the Social Security Administration is the first major step of a disability case. You will need to gather records and evidence to show that you are disabled from working. Most disability applications are denied as part of the normal process. The Law Offices of Stephanie Lake has lots of experience winning cases for clients after this stage, so we encourage you to hire us after you apply. The Social Security Administration’s application form and instructions can be found on the SSA website here: http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/ (click the link). Applications can be completed in-person or online.
1. Review the Adult Disability Checklist
2. Fill out the Disability Benefit Application
3. Fill out the Adult Disability Report
Steps to Apply in-person:
1. Find & call your local Social Security Administration office
Steps to Apply for a Child (under Age 18)
1. Review the Child Disability Starter Kit
2. Contact Social Security right away to determine if parental income is within the allowed limits and start the application process.
3. Fill out the online Child Disability Report